these are literary publications, either online or in print. includes pubs. focusing on book trade/industry.
- absinthe magazine
- was a "progressive bi-annual literary magazine" and now they "decided to move from a periodical/anthology format to a more specific chapbook structure." sample content online.
- The Antigonish Review
- "quarterly literary journal published by St. Francis Xavier
University. The Review features poetry, fiction, reviews and critical articles from all parts of Canada, the US and overseas, using original graphics to enliven the format." sample content online.
- "publishes twice a year. We welcome essays that go beyond established disciplines in search of new perspectives on interpretive studies... attempts to understand the current state of literary, language, and cultural studies, and to play an active role in the future development of such studies...interested in interdisciplinary articles on religion, language, literature, film, theology, rhetoric, philosophy, history, architecture, art history, psychology, classics, and law." content online.
- The Backwater Review
- "independent journal of contemporary writing and reviews. The magazine was founded by the backwater press in 1996, and is published bi-annually in March and September." only sample content online.
- blood + aphorisms
- quarterly publication whose "publishing mandate has been to publish new writing, to promote new and emerging authors, and to do it all with distinction." sample online content.
- broken pencil
- this guide to zine culture in canada and the world has tons of reviews of zines and music, as well as book reviews. published quarterly.
- Bywords: Ottawa's poetry magazine
- "Bywords's main aim is to provide a showcase for the diverse and emerging talents of poets in the National Capital region. In addition, the magazine features a monthly calendar of literary events and announcements that draw further attention to the growing literary community and its attendant audiences in the region." content online.
- Canadian Author Magazine
- "Published quarterly, Canadian Author is Canada's national writing magazine. Each issue includes articles of particular interest to developing and established Canadian writers." no content online.
- Canadian Book Review Annual
- "The most comprehensive collection of authoritative reviews of English-language trade, scholarly, and reference books published in Canada each year." some reviews online.
- Canadian Literature
- "A Quarterly of Criticism and Review." from the University of British Columbia. online content includes editorials and upcoming book reviews. search of the listings from back issues available. ordering info and call for submissions also given.
- Capilano Review
- "has published some of the finest fiction, poetry, drama and visual art in Canada and throughout the world." excerpts online.
- Crank Magazine
- "urban commentary political fiction." samples online.
- Danforth Review
- "an international online magazine of fiction, reviews, interviews, opinion and other important stuff.." all online. put out of Toronto.
- Essays on Canadian Writing
- "we've devoted ourselves to publishing lively, controversial, scholarly articles on writing from English Canada and Québec." article synopses online.
- publishes established and emerging writers, quarterly. sample content online.
- It's Still Winter
- "A Web Journal of Contemporary Canadian Poetry and Poetics"
- January Magazine
- canadian based ezine that is constantly changing, and has online book reviews and interviews of authors from around the world.
- Journal of Canadian Poetry
- "an annual review including articles on Canadian Poetry and reviews of the year's poetry and criticism." only ordering and issue info available online.
- site has moved...
- ON SPEC
- bills itself as "sf, fantasy, horror, magic realism and much, much more". site contains reviews, current features, and info for writers.
- Other Voices Magazine
- "a semi-annual magazine out of Edmonton, Alberta, for over eleven years one enjoyed by a diverse range of peoples, but particularly enjoyed by new and emerging artists of all ages. While our magazine is
not limited to the publication of women artists, we encourage, in particular, work by women speaking from diverse cultural, sexual, and regional perspectives; Other Voices is committed to helping underrepresented voices find the space to be heard." sample content online.
- paperplates magazine
- toronto based literary journal published online
- "The site is not intended to express a single poetic, but to provide a forum for energetic dialogue between diverse poetics." Regularly features essays, manifestos, reviews of recent work, letters from readers, and extended essays. Ottawa based.
- Poetry & Prose
- Intended as an avenue for writers to be published on the net. Whether a poet, an advocate of haiku, a short-short story writer,
- Prairie Journal
- subscription info from the cmpa.
- "a literary maneuver" in progress which highlights progressive writing as well as works in progress. also has a discussion list for discussing and disseminating writing.
- Prism International
- "publishes new and established writers from around the world: short fiction, poetry, drama, creative non-fiction and translation of all genres." sample content online
- online publication which includes some well-known authors as well as formats such as video. also has stuff for kids.
- attractive online publication with experimental content. uses shockwave.
- literary journal out of UNBC
- Storyteller Magazine
- "Canada's Short Story Magazine." some online samples.
- Swiftsure Magazine
- put out by Beach Holme publishing, this is online sampler is primarily a vehicle for their upcoming titles. does not accept submissions.
- Textual Studies in Canada
- "Canada's Journal of Cultural Literacy" from the University College of the Cariboo. site contains submission, subscription and issue info, but no content online. "provides a collaborative and interdisciplinary forum in which researchers and teachers can address issues related to the study of texts within a Canadian context...In keeping with TSC's definition as a "collaborative" journal, we are particularly interested in receiving articles of joint or multiple authorship. "
- Theatre Research in Canada / Recherches théàtrales au Canada
- issued twice a year. site contains past issues.
- The Toronto Review
- "A literary magazine devoted to new writing from Canada, the United States and around the world." browse the table of contents of recent issues, read excerpts from selected articles, and order online.
- an e-journal of Canadian writing available either in normal html or shockwave.
- 20 Cents Magazine On Line
- "An open forum for...people...involved in creative activities." ran from 1966-70. content online.
- Vallum: contemporary poetry
- "a biannual print magazine produced out of Montreal, featuring new poetry by leading and emerging Canadian and international figures. We also feature essays, interviews, reviews and visual art relating to poetic issues."
- West Coast Line
- gives ordering info, pictures of the covers, upcoming events, and the table of contents, but no online content for this Simon Fraser University based publication.
- Words Literary Journal
- "Our goal is to produce a publication of resonant short fiction, poetry, memoirs, and essays, written with care." published quarterly, or therabouts.
- Ygdrasil, A Journal of the Poetic Arts
- "dedicated to providing the best in Modern International Poetry and Literature. Ygdrasil is a monthly Publication and welcomes submission from around the world."