1911 - 1980
works by continued...
- <<< back
- Macaulay: What a Man! The Manitoban (University of Manitoba student newspaper), 28 October 1930.
- Public School Education. The Manitoban, 17 October 1933.
- Germany and Internationalism. The Manitoban, 27 October 1933.
- Germany's Development. The Manitoban, 3 November 1933.
- German Character. The Manitoban, 7 November 1933.
- George Meredith. The Manitoban, 21 November 1933.
- Canada and Internationalism. The Manitoban, 1 December 1933.
- De Valera. The Manitoban, 9 January 1934.
- Not Spiritualism but Spiritism. The Manitoban, 19 January 1934.
- The Groupers. The Manitoban, 23 January 1934.
- Adult Education. The Manitoban, 16 February 1934.
- Morticians and Cosmeticians. The Manitoban, 2 March 1934.
- Tomorrow and Tomorrow. The Manitoban, 16 May 1934.
- George Meredith as a Poet and Dramatic Novelist. M.A. thesis, University of Manitoba, 1934.
- G. K. Chesterton: A Practical Mystic. The Dalhousie Review 15 (1936), 455-64.
- The Cambridge English School. Fleur de Lis (Saint Louis University student literary magazine), 1937, 21-25.
- Peter or Peter Pan. Fleurde Lis, May 1938, 7-9.
- Review of The Culture of Cities by Lewis Mumford. Fleur de Lis, December 1938, 38-39.
- Apes and Angles. Fleur de Lis, December 1940, 7-9.
- Review of Art and Prudence by Mortimer J. Adler. Fleur de Lis, October 1940.
- Review of Poetry and the Modern World by David Daiches. Fleur de Lis, March 1941.
- Review of American Renaissance by E O. Matthiessen. Fleur de Lis, October 1941.
- Aesthetic Pattern in Keats' Odes. University of Toronto Quarterly 12, 2 (1943), 167-79. Reprinted in Eugene McNamara, ed., The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943-1962, 99-113.
- Education of Free Men in Democracy: The Liberal Arts. St. Louis Studies in Honor of St. Thomas Aquinas, 1943, 47-50.
- Herbert's Virtue. The Explicator 2, 1 (1943), 4. Reprinted in L. G. Locke, W. M. Gibson, and G. Arms, eds., Readings for Liberal Education (New York: Rinehart, 1948).
- The Place of Thomas Nashe in the Learning of His Time. Ph.D. dissertation, Cambridge University, April 1943.
- Dagwood's America. Columbia, January 1944, 3, 22.
- Edgar Poe's Tradition. Sewanee Review 52, 1 (1944), 24-33. Reprinted in Eugene McNamara, ed., The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943-1962, 211-21.
- Eliot's The Hippopotamus. The Explicator 2, 7 (1944), 50.
- Henley's Invictus. The Explicator 3, 3 (1944), 22.
- Kipling and Forster. Sewanee Review 52, 3 (1944), 332-43.
- Poetic vs. Rhetorical Exegesis. The Case for Leavis against Richards and Empson. Sewanee Review 52, 2 (1944), 266-76.
- Wyndham Lewis: Lemuel in Lilliput. Saint Louis Studies in Honor of St. Thomas Aquinas, 1944, 58-72.
- The Analogical Mirrors. In Gerard Manley Hopkins: The Kenyon Critics Edition. Norfolk, CT: New Directions Books, 1945, 15-27. Reprinted in Eugene McNamara, ed., The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943-1962, 63-73.
- Another Aesthetic Peep-Show. Review of The Aesthetic Adventure by William Gaunt. Sewanee Review 53 (1945), 674-77.
- The New York Wits. Kenyon Review 7 (1945), 12-28.
- An Ancient Quarrel in Modern America (Sophists vs. Grammarians). The Classical Journal, January 1946, 156-62. Reprinted in Eugene McNamara, ed., The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943-1962, 223-34.
- Footprints in the Sands of Crime. Sewanee Review 54 (1946), 617-34.
- Out of the Castle into the Counting-House. Politics, September 1946, 277-79.
- Review of William Ernest Henley by Jerome Hamilton Buckley. Modern Language Quarterly 7 (1946), 368-70.
- Mr. Connolly and Mr. Hook. Review of The Condemned Playground. Essays 1927-1944 by Cyril Connolly and Education for Modern Man by Sidney Hook. Sewanee Review 55 (1947), 167-72.
- American Advertising. Horizon 93, 4 (October 1947), 132-41. Reprinted in Eric McLuhan and Frank Zingrone, eds., Essential McLuhan (Toronto: Anansi, 1995), 13-20.
- Inside Blake and Hollywood. Sewanee Review 55 (1947), 710-15.
- Introduction to Paradox in Chesterton by Hugh Kenner. New York: Sheed and Ward, 1947.
- The Southern Quality. Sewanee Review 55 (1947), 357-83. Reprinted in Eugene McNamara, ed., The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943-1962, 185-209.
- Henry IV, a Mirror for Magistrates. University of Toronto Quarterly 17, 2 (1948), 152-60.
- The 'Colour-Bar' of BBC English. Canadian Forum, April 1949, 9-10.
- Mr. Eliot's Historical Decorum. Renascence 2, 1 (1949), 9-15. Reprinted in Renascence 25, 4 (1972-73), 183-89.
- Pound's Critical Prose. In Peter Russell, ed., Examination of Ezra Pound: A Collection of Essays (London: Peter Nevill, 1950), 165-71. Reprinted in Eugene McNamara, ed., The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943-1962, 75-81.
- T. S. Eliot [Review of eleven books about Eliot]. Renascence 3, 1 (1950), 43-48.
- John Dos Passos: Technique vs. Sensibility. In Charles Gardiner, ed., Fifty Years of the American Novel: A Christian Appraisal (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1951), 151-64. Reprinted in Eugene McNamara, ed., The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943-1962, 49-62.
- Joyce, Aquinas and the Poetic Process. Renascence 4, 1 (1951), 3-11.
- Review of three books on Ezra Pound. Renascence 3, 2 (1951), 200-2.
- A Survey of Joyce Criticism. Renascence 4, 1 (1951 ), 12-18.
- Tennyson and Picturesque Poetry. Essays in Criticism 1, 3 (1951), 262-82. Reprinted in Eugene McNamara, ed., The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943-1962, 135-55.
- Advertising as a Magical Institution. Commerce Journal, January 1952, 25-29.
- The Aesthetic Moment in Landscape Poetry. In Alan Downe, ed., English Institute Essays (New York: Columbia University Press, 1952), 168-81. Reprinted in Eugene McNamara, ed., The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943-1962, 157-67.
- Defrosting Canadian Culture. American Mercury, March 1952, 91-97.
- Review of Auden: An Introductory Essay by Richard Hoggart. Renascence 4, 2 (1952), 220-21.
- Review of The Poetry of Ezra Pound by Hugh Kenner. Renascence, 4, 2 (1952), 215-17.
- Review of Word Index to James Joyce Ulysses by Miles L. Hanley. Renascence 4, 2 (1952), 186-87.
- Technology and Political Change. International Journal 7, 3 (Summer 1952), 189-95.
- The Age of Advertising. Commonweal, 11 September 1953, 555-57.
- Comics and Culture. Saturday Night, February 1953, 1, 19-20.
- Culture Without Literacy. Explorations: Studies in Culture and Communications, no. 1, December 1953, 117-27. Reprinted in Eric McLuhan and Frank Zingrone, eds., Essential McLuhan (Toronto: Anansi, 1995), 302-13.
- From Eliot to Seneca. University of Toronto Quarterly 22, 2 (1953), 199-202.
- James Joyce: Trivial and Quadrivial. Thought, Spring 1953, 75-98. Reprinted in Eugene McNamara, ed., The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943-1962, 23-47.
- The Later Innis. Queen's Quarterly 60, 3 (1953), 385-94.
- Maritain on Art. Renascence 6, 1 (1953), 40-44.
- The Poetry of George Herbert and Symbolist Communication. Thought, Autumn 1953.
- Review of Light on a Dark Horse: An Autobiography 1901-1935 by Roy Campbell. Renascence 5, 2 (1953), 157-59.
- Wyndham Lewis: His Theory of Art and Communication. Shenandoah, Autumn 1953, 77-88. Reprinted in Eugene McNamara, ed., The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943-1962, 83-94.
- Catholic Humanism and Modern Letters. In Christian Humanism in Letters: The McAuley Lectures, Series 2, 1954 (West Hartford, CT: St. Joseph College, 1954), 49-67.
- Joyce, Mallarmé, and the Press. Sewanee Review 62 (1954), 38-55. Reprinted in Eugene McNamara, ed., The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943-1962, 5-21. Reprinted in Eric McLuhan and Frank Zingrone, eds., Essential McLuhan (Toronto: Anansi, 1995), 60-71.
- Media as Art Forms. Explorations, no. 2, April 1954, 6-13.
- New Media as Political Forms. Explorations, no. 3, August 1954, 120-26.
- Poetry and Society. Review of Dream and Responsibility by Peter Viereck. Poetry 84, 2 (May 1954), 93-95.
- Through Emerald Eyes. Review of Three Great Irishmen: Shaw, Yeats, Joyce by Aarland Ussher. Renascence 6, 2 (1954), 157-58.
- Five Sovereign Fingers Taxed the Breath. Explorations, no. 4, February 1955. Reprinted in Shenandoah, Autumn 1955, 50-52.
- Nihilism Exposed. Review of Wyndham Lewis by Hugh Kenner. Renascence 8, 2 (1955), 97-99.
- Paganism on Tip-toe. Review of The Poetry of T. S. Eliot by D.E.S. Maxwell. Renascence 7, 3 (1955), 158.
- Radio and Television vs. The ABCED-Minded. Explorations, no. 5, June 1955, 12-18.
- Space, Time, and Poetry. Explorations, no. 4, February 1955, 56-62.
- Educational Effects of Mass Media of Communication. Teachers College Record, March 1956, 400-3.
- The Media Fit the Battle of Jericho. Explorations, no. 6 (July 1956), 15-19. Reprinted in Eric McLuhan and Frank Zingrone, eds., Essential McLuhan (Toronto: Anansi, 1995), 298-302.
- Music and Silence. Review of two books on Joyce. Renascence 8, 3 (1956), 152-53.
- 'Stylistic.' Review of Mimesis: The Representation of Reality in Western Literature by Erich Auerbach. Renascence 9, 2 (1956), 99-100.
- Brain Storming (and other essays). Explorations, no. 8, October 1957 (unpaginated).
- Characterization in Western Art, 1600-1900. Explorations, no. 8, October 1957, unpaginated.
- Classical Treatment. Review of Eliot's Poetry and Plays by Grover Smith. Renascence, 10, 2 (1957), 102-3.
- Classrooms Without Walls. Explorations, no. 7, March 1957, 22-26.
- Coleridge as Artist. In Clarence D. Thorpe, Carlos Baker, and Bennett Weaver, eds., The Major English Romantic Poets: A Symposium in Reappraisal (Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press, 1957), 83 -99. Reprinted in Eugene McNamara, ed., The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943-1962, 115-33.
- Compliment Accepted [Review of six books on James Joyce]. Renascence 10, 2 (1957), 106-8.
- David Riesman and the Avant-Garde. Explorations, no. 7, March 1957, 112-16.
- Eternal Ones of the Dream. (with Edmund Carpenter). Explorations, no. 7, March 1957, unpaginated.
- Jazz and Modern Letters. Explorations, no. 7, March 1957, 74-76.
- Manifestos. Explorations, no. 8 (October 1957), unpaginated.
- Third Program in the Human Age. Explorations, no. 8, October 1957, 16-18.
- The Organization Man. Explorations, no. 8, October 1957, unpaginated.
- People of the Word. Explorations, no. 8, October 1957, unpaginated.
- Sight, Sound, and the Fury. In Bernard Rosenberg and David Manning White, eds., Mass Culture: The Popular Arts in America (London: Collier-Macmillan, 1957), 489-95.
- Soviet Novels. (with Edmund Carpenter). Explorations, no. 7, (March 1957), 123-24.
- One Wheel, All Square [Review of five books on James Joyce]. Renascence 10, 4 (1958), 196-200.
- Our New Electronic Culture: The Role of Mass Communications in Meeting Today's Problems. National Association of Educational Broadcasters Journal, October 1958, 19-20, 24-26.
- Joyce or No Joyce. Review of Joyce among the Jesuits by Kevin Sullivan. Renascence 12, 1 (1959), 53-54.
- Myth and Mass Media. Daedalus, Spring 1959, 339-48.
- Virgil, Yeats, and 13,000 Friends. Review of On Poetry and Poets by T S. Eliot. Renascence 11, 2 (1959), 94-95.
- Yeats and Zane Grey. Review of The Letters of William Butler Yeats, edited by Allan Wade. Renascence, 11, 3 (1959), 166-68.
- Acoustic Space. (with Edmund Carpenter). In Edmund Carpenter and Marshall McLuhan, eds., Explorations in Communication: An Anthology (Boston: Beacon Press, 1960), 65-70.
- A Critical Discipline. Review of Wyndham Lewis: A Portrait of the Artist as the Enemy by Geoffrey Wagner. Renascence 12, 2 (1960), 93-95.
- Another Eliot Party. Review of T. S. Eliot: A Symposium for His Seventieth Birthday edited by Neville Braybrooke. Renascence 12, 3 (1960), 156-57.
- Around the World, Around the Clock. Review of The Image Industries by William Lynch. Renascence 12, 4 (1960), 204-5.
- Flirting with Shadows. Review of The Invisible Poet by Hugh Kenner. Renascence 12, 4 (1960), 212-14.
- Joyce as Critic. Review of The Critical Writing of James Joyce edited by Ellsworth Mason and Richard Ellmann. Renascence 12, 4 (1960), 202-3.
- Melodic and Scribal. Review of Song in the Works of James Joyce by J. C. Hodgart and Mabel P. Worthington. Renascence 13, 1 (1960), 51.
- The Personal Approach. Review of Shakespeare and Company by Sylvia Beach. Renascence 13, 1 (1960), 42-43.
- Romanticism Reviewed. Review of Romantic Image by Frank Kermode. Renascence 12, 4 (1960), 207-9.
- The Electric Culture. The Books at the Wake. Renascence 13, 4 (1961), 219-20.
- The Humanities in the Electronic Age. Humanities, Fall 1961, 3-11.
- Inside the Five Sense Sensorium. Canadian Architect, June 1961, 49-51.
- The New Media and the New Education. Basilian Teacher, December 1961, 93-100.
- Producers and Consumers. Review of James Joyce by Richard Ellmann. Renascence 13, 4 (1961), 217-19.
- The Chaplin Bloom. Review of James Joyce: The Poetry of Conscience by Mary Parr. Renascence 14, 4 (1962), 216-17.
- A Fresh Perspective on Dialogue. The Superior Student 4, 7 (1962), 2-6.
- Joyce, Aquinas, and the Poetic Process. In Thomas E. Conholly, ed., Joyce's Portrait: Criticisms and Critiques (New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1962), 249-56.
- Phase Two. Review of The Art of James Joyce by A. Walton Litz. Renascence 14, 3 (1962), 166-67.
- Prospect of America. University of Toronto Quarterly 32, 1 (1962), 107-8.
- Empson, Milton, and God. Review of Milton's God by William Empson. Renascence 15, 2 (1963), 112.
- Printing and the Mind. The Times Literary Supplement, 19 July 1963.
- Introduction to The Bias of Communication by Harold A. Innis. Reprint edition. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1964. Also appears in Explorations 25 (June 1969).
- Murder by Television. Canadian Forum, January 1964, 222-23.
- Notes on Burroughs [Review of Naked Lunch and Nova Express by William Burroughs]. Nation, 28 December 1964, 517-19.
- Art as Anti-Environment. Art News Annual 31 (1965).
- T. S. Eliot. The Canadian Forum, February 1965, 243-44.
- Wordfowling in Blunderland. Saturday Night, August 1965, 23-27.
- Address at Vision 65. American Scholar 35 (1965-66), 196-205. Reprinted in Eric McLuhan and Frank Zingrone, eds., Essential McLuhan (Toronto: Anansi, 1995), 219-32.
- The All-at-Once World of Marshall McLuhan. Vogue 123 (August 1966), 70-73, 111.
- Cybernation and Culture. In Charles Dechert, ed., The Social Impact of Cybernetics (South Bend, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 1966), 95-108.
- The Emperor's Old Clothes. In Gyorgy Kepes, ed., The Man-Made Object (New York: G. Braziller, 1966), 90-95.
- Electronics and the Psychic Drop-Out. This Magazine Is About Schools 1, 1 (April 1966), 37 -42.
- The Invisible Environment. Canadian Architect, May 1966, 71-74.
- Questions and Answers with Marshall McLuhan. Take One, November/December 1966, 7-10.
- Television in a New Light. In Stanley T Donner, ed., The Meaning of Commercial Television (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1966), 87-107.
- The Future of Education. (with George B. Leonard). Look, 21 February 1967, 23-25.
- The Future of Sex. (with George B. Leonard). Look, 25 July 1967, 56-63.
- Love. Saturday Night, February 1967, 25-28.
- Marshall McLuhan Massages the Medium. Nation's Schools, June 1967, 36-37.
- The Relation of Environment to Anti-Environment. In Floyd W. Matson and Ashley Montagu, eds., The Human Dialogue: Perspectives on Communication (New York: Free Press, 1967), 39-47.
- Adopt a University. This Magazine Is about Schools 2, 4 (Autumn 1968), 50-55.
- All the Candidates Are Asleep. Saturday Evening Post, August 1968, 34-36.
- Guaranteed Income in the Electric Age. In Richard Kostelanetz, ed., Beyond Left and Right: Radical Thought for Our Times (New York: William Morrow, 1968), 72-83.
- The Reversal of the Overheated Image. Playboy, December 1968.
- Review of Federalism and the French Canadians by Pierre Trudeau. New York Times Book Review, 17 November 1968.
- Playboy Interview: Marshall McLuhan -- A Candid Conversation with the High Priest of Popcult and Metaphysician of Media. Playboy, March 1969, 53-54, 59-62, 64-66, 68, 70, 72, 74, 158. Reprinted in Eric McLuhan and Frank Zingrone, eds., Essential McLuhan (Toronto: Anansi, 1995), 233-69.
- Salt and Scandal in the Gospels. (with Joe Keogh). Explorations 26 (December 1969), 82-85.
- Wyndham Lewis. Atlantic Monthly, December 1969, 93-98.
- Cicero and the Renaissance Training for Prince and Poet. Renaissance and Reformation (Victoria, B.C.) 6, 3 (1970). Reprinted in Eric McLuhan and Frank Zingrone, eds., Essential McLuhan (Toronto: Anansi, 1995), 313-18.
- The Man Who Came to Listen. (with Barrington Nevitt). In Tony Bonaparte and John Flaherty, eds., Peter Drucker: Contributions to Business Enterprise (New York: New York University Press, 1970), 35-55.
- Foreword to A. J. Kirshner, Training That Makes Sense (San Rafael, CA:Academic Therapy Publications, 1972), 5-7.
- The Popular Hero and Anti-Hero. In Ray B. Browne et al., eds., Heroes of Popular Culture (Bowling Green, OH: Bowling Green University Popular Press, 1972).
- The Argument: Causality in the Electric World. (with Barrington Nevitt).
Technology and Culture 14, 1 (1973), 1-18.
- Do Americans Go to Church to Be Alone? The Critic, January/February 1973, 14-23.
- The Medium Is the Message. In C. David Mortensen, ed., Basic Readings in Communication Theory (New York: Harper and Row, 1973), 139-52.
- Mr. Nixon and the Dropout Strategy. New York Times, 29 July 1973.
- Understanding McLuhan -- and Fie on Any Who Don't. The Globe and Mail, 10 September 1973.
- Watergate as Theatre. Performing Arts in Canada, Winter 1973, 14-15.
- Mr. Eliot and the Saint Louis Blues. The Antigonish Review, 18 (Summer 1974), 23-27.
- English Literature as Control Tower in Communication Study. English Quarterly (University of Waterloo), Spring 1974, 3-7.
- Medium Meaning Message. (with Barrington Nevitt). Communication (UK) 1 (1974), 27-33. Reprinted in Barrington Nevitt, The Communication Ecology: Re-presentation versus Replica (Toronto: Butterworths, 1982), 140-44.
- A Media Approach to Inflation. New York Times, 21 September 1974.
- There Is Panic in Abortion Thinking: McLuhan. Toronto Daily Star, 31 July 1974.
- Letter to The Listener, 22 October 1975.
- McLuhan's Laws of the Media. Technology and Culture, January 1975, 74-78.
- The Debates. New York Times, 23 September 1976.
- The Violence of the Media. Canadian Forum, September 1976, 9-12.
- Laws of the Media. Et Cetera: A Review of General Semantics, June 1977, 173-78.
- Alphabet, Mother of Invention. (with R. K. Logan). Et Cetera: A Review of General Semantics, December 1977, 373-83.
- Canada: The Borderline Case. In David Staines, ed., The Canadian Imagination: Dimensions of a Literary Culture (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1977), 226-48.
- The Rise and Fall of Nature. Journal of Communication 27, 4 (1977), 80-81.
- The Brain and the Media: The "Western" Hemisphere. Journal of
Communication 28, 4 (1978), 54-60.
- A Last Look at the Tube. New York, 3 April 1978, 45.
- Figures and Grounds in Linguistic Criticism. Review of Mario J. Valdes and Owen J. Miller, Interpretation of Narrative (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1978). Et Cetera: A Review of General Semantics 36, 3 (1979), 289-94.
- The Double Bind of Communication and the World Problematique. (with
Robert K. Logan). Human Futures, Summer 1979, 1-3.
- Pound, Eliot, and the Rhetoric of The Waste Land. New Literary History 10, 3 (1979), 557-80.
- Foreword to Karl Appel, Karl Appel: Works on Paper. (New York: Abbeville Press, 1980).
- Electronic Banking and the Death of Privacy. (with Bruce Powers). Journal of Communication 31, 1 (1981), 164-69.
- Ayre, John. Northrop Frye. Toronto: Random House, 1989.
- Becker, Samuel L. Viewpoint: McLuhan as Rorschach. Journal of Broadcasting 19, 2 (1975), 235-40.
- Berthoff, Ann E., ed. Richards on Rhetoric. I. A. Richards: Selected Essays (1929-1974). New York: Oxford University Press, 1991.
- Boon, James A. From Symbolism to Structuralism. New York: Harper and Row, 1972.
- Brinnin, John Malcolm. The Third Rose. Little Brown: Boston & Toronto, 1959.
- Brown, G. Spencer. Laws of Form. Toronto: Bantam Books, 1973.
- Carey, James W. McLuhan and Mumford: The Roots of Modern Media
Analysis. Journal of Communication 31, 3 (1981).
- Cooper, Thomas W. McLuhan and Innis: The Canadian Theme of Boundless
Exploration. Journal of Communication 31, 3 (1981).
- Curtis, James M. Marshall McLuhan and French Structuralism. Boundary Two 1, 1 (1972), 134-46.
- Curtis, James M. McLuhan: The Aesthete as Historian. Journal of
Communication 31, 3 (1981).
- De Kerckhove, Derrick. The Skin of Culture: Investigating the New Electronic Reality. Toronto: Somerville House, 1995.
- De Kerckhove, Derrick. Understanding McLuhan. Canadian Forum, May 1981.
- Dobbs, Kildare. The McLuhan View of Pierre Trudeau. Toronto Daily Star, 19 November 1968.
- Duffy, Dennis. Marshall McLuhan. Toronto: McClelland and Stewart, 1969.
- Eco, Umberto. Travels in Hyperreality. San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1986.
- Elliott, George P. Marshall McLuhan: Double Agent. The Public Interest 4 (1966), 116-22.
- Emery, Merrelyn. The Social and Neurophysiological Effects of Television and Their Implications for Marketing Practice. University of New South
Wales, doctoral dissertation, 1985.
- Fekete, John. The Critical Twilight: Explorations in the Ideology of Anglo-American Literary Theory from Eliot to McLuhan. London: Routledge, 1977.
- Fitzgerald, Judith. McLuhan, Not Atwood! Books in Canada 24, 9 (December 1995), 3-5.
- Gordon, W. Terrence, Marshall Mcluhan: Escape into Understanding. New York: HarperCollins, 1997.
- Gordon, W. Terrence, ed., C. K. Ogden and Linguistics. London: Routledge/Thoemmes, 1994. 5 vols.
- Gordon, W. Terrence. Saussure for Beginners. New York and London: Writers & Readers Publishing, 1996.
- Gordon, W. Terrence. McLuhan for Beginners. New York and London: Writers & Readers Publishing, 1997.
- Gronbeck, Bruce E. McLuhan as Rhetorical Theorist. Journal of Communication 31, 3 (1981).
- Heer, Jeet. Marshall McLuhan and the Politics of Literary Reputation. The Literary Review of Canada, April 1996, 23.
- Kirchhoff, H. J. Poetry and Drama: It All Adds Up. The Globe and Mail, 9 February 1989.
- Kroker, Arthur. Technology and the Canadian Mind: Innis, McLuhan, Grant. Montreal: New World Perspectives, 1984.
- Krugman, Herbert E. Electroencephalographic Aspects of Low Involvement:
Implications for the McLuhan Hypothesis. The Journal of Advertising Research 11, 1 (February 1971).
- Lanham, Richard A. The Electronic Word: Democracy, Technology and the Arts. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1993.
- Legman, Gershon. Folklore of Industrial Man. Neurotica 8 (Spring 1951).
- Levinson, Paul. McLuhan and Rationality. Journal of Communication 31, 3 (1981).
- Logan, Robert K. The Alphabet Effect. New York: Morrow, 1986.
- McKerrow, Ronald B., ed. The Works of Thomas Nashe (London: Sidgwick and Jackson, 1910).
- Mailer, Norman. Of a Small and Modest Malignancy, Wicked and Bristling with Dots. Esquire, November 1977, 125-48.
- Miller, Jonathan. McLuhan. London: Fontana/Collins, 1971.
- Nadel, Ira B. Joyce and the Jews. Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 1989.
- National Broadcasting Corporation. Sunday Showcase. McLuhan on
McLuhanism. NBC [between 1959 and 1960].
- Neill, S. D. Clarifying McLuhan: An Assessment of Process and Product. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1993.
- Nevitt, Barrington, and Maurice McLuhan, eds. Who Was Marshall McLuhan? Toronto: Stoddart, 1995.
- O'Driscoll, Robert, ed. Marshall McLuhan/W. H. Auden, Duel or Duet.
Canadian Forum, May 1981.
- Olson, David R. McLuhan: Preface to Literacy. Journal of Communication 31, 3 (1981).
- O'Neill, John. McLuhan's Loss of Innis-Sense. Canadian Forum, May 1981.
- Ong, Walter J. McLuhan as Teacher: The Future Is a Thing of the Past. Journal of Communication 3 I, 3 (1981).
- Patterson, Graeme. History and Communications: Harold Innis, Marshall McLuhan, the Interpretation of History. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1990.
- Powe, B. W. Outage. A Journey into Electric City. Toronto: Random House, 1995.
- Rosen, Jay. The Messages of "The Medium Is the Message." Et Cetera: A Review of General Semantics 47, 1 (1990), 45-51.
- Russo, John Paul. I. A. Richards: His Life and Work. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1989.
- Sanderson, George, and Frank Macdonald, eds., Marshall McLuhan: The Man and His Message. Golden, Colorado: Fulcrum, 1989.
- Stamps, Judith. Unthinking Modernity: Innis, McLuhan, and the Frankfurt School. Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press, 1995.
- Theall, Donald F. Understanding McLuhan: The Medium Is the Rear View Mirror. Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press, 1971.
- Venable, William Henry. Flaws in McLuhan's Laws. Technology and Culture 17 (1976), 256-62.
- Wachtel, Ed. McLuhan in the Classroom: The Method Is the Message. Et Cetera: A Review of General Semantics 35 (1978), 195-98.
- Watson, Sheila. Wyndham Lewis and Expressionism. University of Toronto,
doctoral dissertation, 1964 (directed by Marshall McLuhan).
- Watson, Wilfred. McLuhan's Wordplay. Canadian Forum, May 1981.
- Willmort, Glen. McLuhan, or Modernism in Reverse. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1996.
- Wolfe, Tom. The Video McLuhan. Written and narrated by Tom Wolfe.
Toronto: McLuhan Productions, 1996.